Sunday, July 24, 2016

We're Having a Heat Wave, a Tropical Heatwave 🌞

 
 I don't know about you, but I don't like it hot. I just left church and we had no air conditioning. My Mom nearly passed out, as did most of the congregation. We left after services instead of going to the undercroft for coffee. We went to a local bakery and had lunch. We were talking about the current state of affairs in this country. My Mom is Irish, 84 years old and very liberal. She's a big proponent of gay rights and immigrant rights. She makes me take her to the gay pride parade in Hudson every year, where everyone knows and loves her. (The old very conservative folks in her neighborhood hate her guts.) She is very concerned that Trump will win the election. A legitimate concern. She doesn't understand how someone whose mother was an immigrant and whose wife is one, could use the rhetoric that he does. I don't either. She believes people hate Hillary for one reason only - that she is a woman. My mother believes that some people will stop at nothing to make sure a woman is never elected president. She has a point. What happens after Trump gets in or Hillary? How will the other side handle it? The country is becoming so polarized and intolerant of others that it is becoming dangerous. I went out last night with one of my buddies who was visiting from Florida. He was wearing a Trump tee shirt. He had the shirt made himself - it said on the front "Vote the Reality Ticket - Trump for President!" with a picture of Trump, on the back it said, "Honey Boo Boo for VP" with a picture of her. We were in a predominately Hispanic area and I noticed we were getting some glares. I don't think the public got the joke. Later that night it got worse, we were in a West Indian bar and I said you have to ditch that shirt. Thankfully, nothing happened. That said, I wouldn't put a Hillary sticker on my car or a banner for her on my front lawn, because I know in my neighborhood I wouldn't be that lucky. Stay cool.

1 comment:

  1. ATR Nomad,
    There are plenty of examples of Trump being anti-immigrant, not just anti-illegal immigrant. I found 10 in 3 minutes. As for your comment that people are not thinking who say the dislike of Clinton is because she's a woman, you're very naive. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete

I reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments.

Disclaimer:
Stories herein containing unnamed or invented characters are works of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author’s imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.