Saturday, February 24, 2018

Trump, The Snake and Gun Toting Teachers

I want a gun. I teach tap dancing.

        I watched Trump last night speaking at CPAC and was cursing at the TV until I finally fell off my chair laughing. I listened while he spoke of arming teachers. Allow me a moment to give my thoughts on that - ARE YOU F--KING JOKING? The answer of course is he's not. He's wants to give guns to those teachers with military training  - first he assumed that would be 40%, then he lowered that statistic to 20% during his speech. I've only known two guys in all my years as a teacher with military training. That's two guys out of a thousand or two tenths of one percent. Also be aware that seventy six percent of teachers are women and they are far less likely to have military experience as teachers. Trump, not to be trumped will propose training for teachers to carry and shoot guns at armed students or intruders. Such an idea is repugnant to most teachers, as it goes against the altruistic and peaceful nature of the best teachers. What teachers are going to want to carry a gun into a classroom? They will be the angry, frightened or misfits of the teaching profession. Not the people you'd want handling a gun even under the best of circumstances. There is so much wrong with Trump's idea that it boogles the mind. What happens if a kid decides he wants that gun and starts fighting you for it? What happens if you forget it in the restroom (if you're lucky enough to have a key)? I do believe it may cut down on the much lamented four observations - the teacher could start loading the gun during the DO NOW. It could also dramatically cut down on the ATR pool by giving every ATR a gun and then calling the SWAT team in to report an armed intruder. None of this made me laugh.
    What had me laughing was Trump's attempt at an intellectual foray into a poetry recital. The poem Trump chose, I later learned were lyrics from a song by African American social activist Oscar Brown (who's probably turning in his grave), is called 'The Snake'.  It was used as an anti-immigrant prop and at first had me shaking my head until I realized he probably first read it to Stormy. At that point I fell off my chair laughing. Trump should go into comedy, he missed his true calling.

On her way to work one morning
Down the path alongside the lake
A tenderhearted woman saw a poor half-frozen snake
His pretty colored skin had been all frosted with the dew
“Oh well,” she cried, “I’ll take you in and I’ll take care of you”
“Take me in oh tender woman
Take me in, for heaven’s sake
Take me in oh tender woman,” sighed the snake
She wrapped him up all cozy in a curvature of silk
And then laid him by the fireside with some honey and some milk
Now she hurried home from work that night as soon as she arrived
She found that pretty snake she’d taken in had been revived
“Take me in, oh tender woman
Take me in, for heaven’s sake
Take me in oh tender woman,” sighed the snake
Now she clutched him to her bosom, “You’re so beautiful,” she cried
“But if I hadn’t brought you in by now you might have died”
Now she stroked his pretty skin and then she kissed and held him tight
But instead of saying thanks, that snake gave her a vicious bite
“Take me in, oh tender woman
Take me in, for heaven’s sake
Take me in oh tender woman,” sighed the snake
“I saved you,” cried that woman
“And you’ve bit me even, why?
You know your bite is poisonous and now I’m going to die”
“Oh shut up, silly woman,” said the reptile with a grin
“You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in

1 comment:

  1. Trump thinks he's the tender woman and my students are the snake. He's delusional. He also said something like if you don't agree, who cares? Why should he even pretend to represent anyone who doesn't agree with him?

    ReplyDelete

I reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments.

Disclaimer:
Stories herein containing unnamed or invented characters are works of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author’s imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.