Monday, January 19, 2015

Martin Luther King Jr. Day

I always look forward to a day off - usually not contemplating the reason for the day. I looked at MLK's tombstone today and realized he was only 39 years old when he was killed. It caused me to think about the nature of martyrs. How many have given their lives for a cause? Many. How many are unwilling to give their lives for anything? Many more.
How about speaking out against injustice? "Well, I guess so, if it's not too troublesome and might be considered cool." Where to start? Start with those closest to you. You, your family and your students. How can you go march for ideals in society and ignore the plight of those in front of you? Do you spend time with your kids? Are you willing to spend your own time helping a struggling student? Do you look down your nose at those less fortunate than you? Did you vote for the last contract, even though it discriminates against the rights of your colleagues? None of us are perfect, but I believe as teachers we should hold ourselves to a higher ideal. I certainly am not considered a teacher any longer, (he's the sub), but I try to maintain my dignity under very undignified circumstances.
So on this MLK Day, I'm going to try to persevere as he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments.

Disclaimer:
Stories herein containing unnamed or invented characters are works of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author’s imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.