Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Happy Thanksgiving

    


    Tomorrow is our last day of school before the Thanksgiving vacation. This is a day of excitement for many of us - adults and children alike. When I was teaching, I often had children that did not want to go home on that particular afternoon. It was often because they had no real family life and no one was cooking a Thanksgiving dinner.

      On one occasion, I had a student tell me she was going to commit suicide as I was going out the door. I also heard similar proclamations before Christmas vacations. I think as adults and teachers, we should be mindful that many of the students we teach may not be as fortunate as us. 

      It’s nice I’m in a school right now that values children and are doing special events for Thanksgiving. In many schools, the staff and students are the de facto families. Hopefully, this will have a long lasting, positive effect on their lives. School has never only been about academics and statistics, regardless of what Bloomberg, Klein and the charter privateers would have us believe. Schools are social institutions. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments.

Disclaimer:
Stories herein containing unnamed or invented characters are works of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author’s imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.