Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Thank G-d Almighty I'm Free at Last!



   Another Thanksgiving! Can you believe it? Where does the time go? Is it your favorite holiday? It's not mine but I certainly have enjoyed it. When I was single, back in the Stone Age, I would spend every Thanksgiving Eve watching the balloons being blown up and then doing a tour of all my favorite hangouts. We'd start at the Dublin House in the west 70s, then a surf bar on Columbus, then Teachers or Fugiama Mama for a late supper, then onto Bainbridge Ave in the Bronx - which had the most bars per block in the country at the time. Later it would be an after hours jazz joint back in Chelsea or a dive in Kingsbridge Heights. Those old friends are mostly scattered to the four winds, but not forgotten. Once I settled down and became a teacher, Thanksgiving became a respite from exhaustion and a much more traditional celebration. Happiness in different forms. Always happily married to my wife and for many years to teaching, but certainly not to the ATR pool. Those early idyllic days are long gone and I haven't thought about them in years - but I am now. I find myself free again. Free from the oppression, anger, depression and despair. I just retired. No more bar hopping or shivering on the West Side, but I'm having just as much fun. I highly recommend it. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments.

Disclaimer:
Stories herein containing unnamed or invented characters are works of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author’s imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.