Sunday, September 4, 2016

It's Labor Day Again




    As some of you may know this is the weekend I enter my annual US Open trance in preparation for the upcoming onslaught of the coming school year. This year I did something I have never done before - I actually went to the US Open. I drove to Flushing, Main Street, parked and took the train one stop. I got to the stadium early and hung out. Sitting way up high in Arthur Ashe stadium, I watched Serena. I felt a little strange being there. I knew Arthur from when I managed a video store during my college years. He was a very refined, polite person. At the time I didn't know how to play and knew nothing about tennis. One day someone I knew, who seemed awe struck, mentioned to me that he was a famous tennis player, but I didn't believe it. After graduating and moving on, I read of his health problems and was saddened by his death. Well Arthur, I finally got to your stadium. Sorry it wasn't sooner. It was great. Tennis has become popular with everyone, even former kids like me from the Bronx. Has anything else changed for me since last Labor Day weekend? I'm a year older and hopefully a little wiser. I'm grateful to God for my health and ability to support my family. I try not to take anything for granted. Enjoy your Labor Day, a day of rest and recognition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments.

Disclaimer:
Stories herein containing unnamed or invented characters are works of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author’s imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.