Sunday, December 29, 2019

Another Year Over ...


   I can’t believe I’ve been retired over a year. It flew. I feel for my brothers and sisters left in hell. I also feel for all the students being cheated out of an education because of political/race correctness which always leads back to the almighty buck. The schools are unsafe, very little education is going on and NYC and its MTA are downright dangerous. Big Bill can pull as many statistics out of his posterior as he likes, but those with eyes can see. Enough of that. I’m happy to be out and hope the same for you, unless you are fortunate enough to be in a real school and yes, there are still a few around. Usually, the teachers there are all in their sixties and won’t retire, so you know just based on that they have to have a strong union presence - heck, some of those guys are bonafide 👍🏻 Chapter Leaders - not like the sniveling sycophants I came across during my long odyssey around the Bronx. I still haven’t rejoined the UFT because I haven’t seen any movement towards democracy in regard to anything. The ATR pool is still growing and ignored; new teachers can be fired over any large or trivial perception, Fair Student Funding is still in place and unchallenged, and retirees are regaled for their votes and money. I don’t foresee good things happening with the UFT, especially over their silence concerning massive grade fraud and school safety. I also think the newbies will stop paying dues until they become tenured - this may ensure some action from the UFT. I also believe more and more will opt out of paying dues as they watch ‘their’ union ignore principals (gone hog wild) while the UFT machas discuss and pass esoteric resolutions that wouldn’t be believed if they were on an SNL sketch. Oh well.

     I am blessed and want to thank G-d for saving a loved one’s life. Don’t believe anyone who tells you prayer doesn’t work. Prayer, faith and family should be paramount. I work a couple of days a week with high school seniors and try to help them as best I can. I also started working on a large project - that will take me a year or two to complete. It’s hard work, but also thrilling. I don’t know if anyone will like it, and I do care a little bit - but not much. It’s more for me. There was a time that teaching was the same. I enjoyed it and it always made me feel great. The kids learning was secondary and primary, if you know what I mean. The best teachers lose themselves in the process. There are decades I can barely remember as I was completely immersed in the joy of teaching.

   I wish everyone a wonderful new year. May G-d bless you, your families and your teaching or other endeavors. Be good to yourself. (Don’t turn into a divisive tech zombie.) Cheers.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments.

Disclaimer:
Stories herein containing unnamed or invented characters are works of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author’s imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.